Sunday, August 19, 2012

Boyfriend's 23rd Birthday

I've fallen so far behind on this little blog of mine. Boyfriend and I have been getting over colds/sinus infections and nasty coughs and, let's face it, life is just busy sometimes. A post about what we've been up to is coming soon!

In the meantime, I'd like to post about Boyfriend's 23rd birthday, which was about three weeks ago. If you know me at all, you know that birthdays are a big deal, and because this birthday was the first in a long time that didn't involve a ride on an airplane, I wanted to make it special. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), Boyfriend doesn't care as much about birthdays as I do, so I had a hard time getting him to tell me what he wanted to do for his big day. Determined to make it special, I enlisted the help of some of our friends.

On Friday night--the night before his birthday--I took Boyfriend to one of our favorite sushi restaurants for a celebratory dinner. As usual, it was delicious, and we had a great time talking and eating. It's always fun to get dressed up and go out on a date! We were even able to catch moments of the Olympic opening ceremony during dinner.
By chance, a few of Boyfriend's close friends were coming into town that weekend, and I convinced a few others to make the two-hour drive, so we took advantage of everyone being in the same place and had a day-long celebration. On Saturday morning--Boyfriend's actual birthday--we woke up early and went to our friends Harrison and Alex's house for breakfast.

After a leisurely breakfast of pancakes, french toast, and bacon, we headed to the shooting range just outside of town for a little manly fun. The guys had a blast shooting all of the different guns, and I think they got a kick out of showing all of the girls how to shoot. I had shot a gun before, but it had been a while, so I was a little nervous. I even tried skeet shooting! I wasn't that great at it, but I'm glad I tried it. I definitely enjoyed shooting the smaller handheld guns more, though. Boyfriend was pretty much a pro at skeet shooting, and he had a great time at the range with all of his buddies!
Photo by Harrison Smith
Photo by Harrison Smith
After shooting, we all went back to Harrison and Alex's house to eat and hang out. There was a ton of food--burgers, brats, salad, chips and dip, beer...the works. It was so great to spend time with our friends. Boyfriend kept saying that he didn't want the focus of the day to be his birthday, but I'm so glad he let me throw this "party" for him. We had an absolute blast, and I'm pretty sure that all of our friends did, too.
The only picture we managed to get together
We ended up hanging out until about 10pm. We were all exhausted from being out in the heat all day and eating so much, but there was one more thing we still had to do: cut the cake! After we finished watching The Dark Knight, Boyfriend cut his Batman birthday cake. Pretty appropriate, huh? :)
Happy birthday, Babe! I can't wait to help you celebrate a million more!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...