Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A few recipes

A few weeks ago (eh, more than a month ago), I said I'd post about a few recipes I'd made. Well, Faithful Followers, that day is here!

First, let's go over the recipes I mentioned in this post.

Grandma's Homemade Mac and Cheese
I hold this recipe near and dear to my heart for a few reasons.
  1. It's an old family favorite.
  2. I love good mac and cheese. A lot.
I was a little nervous to make this recipe because I knew it'd be hard to top my Grandma's version, but I tried anyway. (For the record, mine was decent, her's is better).

Serving size: More than enough--can easily feed 4 to 6 people (and you'll probably have leftovers)

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (8 ounces) penne, ziti, or elbow macaroni
1/4 pound Velveeta
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1.5 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Boil macaroni until cooked (roughly 10 minutes). Melt butter and pour in a large bowl. Slowly stir in flour, and add milk gradually. Add sliced cheese, and stir until smooth. Grease an oven-safe dish. Pour cheese sauce into dish. Next, drain the macaroni and rinse it in cold water. Then, pour the macaroni over the cheese sauce, and stir in well. Don't be afraid if the mixture looks watery, soupy, and downright disgusting--I promise that it will firm up as it bakes! To spice things up, put sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

When I made this recipe, I used slices of American cheese instead of Velveeta because I had a ton in the house that I needed to use. I also left off the tomatoes because Boyfriend isn't a fan. We really liked this mac and cheese, and we had a lot leftover. If you make this, make enough to have leftovers because it really is better the second day.
Please ignore the crappy phone picture.
Since you can't just have mac and cheese for dinner (or maybe you can, but whatever), I made tuna croquettes to go with it. Growing up, we always ate salmon or tuna croquettes with spaghetti or mac and cheese, so this was a pretty normal pairing for me.

Tuna Croquettes
This recipe is so easy that I'm not even sure it can be called a recipe. I don't follow one when I make it, so I'll do my best to explain the process.

I started by draining 5 or 6 cans of tuna and dumping the contents into a large bowl. I know 5 or 6 cans seems like a lot, but I wanted to have leftovers. I had hard boiled some eggs earlier in the day, so I cut up 3 or 4 eggs (yoke and all) into small pieces and mixed them in with the tuna. I also added mayonnaise, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Then I started to form patties with the tuna. I make my patties about the size of small hamburgers, but it's all personal preference. I rolled each patty in breadcrumbs before putting it on a cookie sheet. Then, I brushed each patty with a little bit of oil and put them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (until they're golden brown). That's it! Simple, simple!
I've also been pinteresting some recipes. I tried this recipe for honey-lime grilled chicken a few weeks ago. It was pretty good, but I'll be sure to marinate the chicken longer next time. The chicken looks a little well done because I grilled it on my George Foreman. I paired this dish with rice with soy sauce and green beans.
I made this recipe for garlic brown sugar baked chicken last night for dinner. Although my chicken looked nothing like the picture, the flavor was delicious, and the chicken was really moist! To ensure that the garlic did not overpower the brown sugar, I drizzled a little honey over each chicken breast before I popped them in the oven. I paired this dish with mixed veggies.
Stay tuned for my homemade enchilada recipe! I think it's the best thing I've made so far.

3 comments:

sarahkocischeilz said...

Sara, all of this looks delicious! I'm always on the hunt for fun, homemade macaroni & cheese recipes :)

Chris said...

Hi Sara, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

Ariel Tyler said...

Wow! Thank you for sharing these! I'm definitely going to have to try making these. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...