Tuesday, May 8, 2012

You've gotta act like a big person now, so...

As I write this, I'm sitting on the floor (because we have no furniture) of my messy apartment. Well, it's not really messy, it's just that nothing has a place at the moment. Boyfriend is working hard at work, and I just got back from an interview that went pretty dang well if I do say so myself.

See those words above in the title of this post? That's exactly what my dad said to me before Boyfriend and I hit the road on Saturday. Sure, this whole moving away from home thing is a little scary, but so far so good. Boyfriend and I are slowly getting accustomed to our new life together, and the apartment is coming together little by little.

After making the drive from Dallas to Columbia and unloading the car on Saturday, Boyfriend and I relaxed for a little bit before we got ready to go to dinner with some of my college friends for Cinco de Mayo. Mid-Mo Mexican food will never live up to my beloved Tex-Mex, but I guess I can't be too picky when a queso craving strikes. After dinner, we went over to Harrison's and Alex's apartment and enjoyed a few margaritas while playing with their new puppy. Then we went home (our home--still need to get used to saying that) and promptly passed out.

We slept in and took our time getting ready on Sunday before heading out to Sam's and Walmart to pick up just a few of the basic necessities. It was difficult to stick to a budget and buy somewhat decent and attractive things for the apartment, but I think we did a pretty good job. Basically, our refrigerator no longer looks like this (see below) since we have real food, and we have kitchen items to actually cook with.
Basic necessities?
Just a few of the goodies we picked up
My first meal in the apartment--Check out our cute blue and white dishes!
Furniture shopping
All in all, mission accomplished. Sure, there are a million more things we'll need--specifically a dresser, a couch, and a desk for starters--but it will all happen in time. After shopping on Sunday, we went to Boyfriend's old house to pick up some of his stuff and enjoyed dinner at Huhot.

Yesterday, Boyfriend got up and went to work, and I got up with every intention to go work out only to remember that my tennis shoes are currently in a box being shipped from Dallas to here. Thoroughly disappointed, I took a shower, cleaned up a little, and sat down to work. Unfortunately, I couldn't get much done because the wifi that comes with the apartment is awful with a capital A. Looks like Boyfriend and I will be paying for better internet. I got as much done as I could and then washed all of the new stuff we bought and set up the kitchen (pictures to come). Then, my friend Anna came over to see the apartment and chat for a little bit until Tom came home.

Once Tom came home, it was time for dinner. Neither of us were very hungry, so I just made this simple recipe:

The Camel's Eye

Ingredients: 2 slices of bread, 2 eggs, 1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, salt and pepper

Directions: Cut circle from center of each bread slice. (A biscuit or round cookie cutter is good for this). Set aside. In a small frying pan, melt butter. Place bread slices in pan. Crack one egg gently into each center of bread. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium heat, turning after five minutes. Cook to desired firmness.

At my going away party, my coworkers gave me canned food, including canned corned beef. Boyfriend and I decided to try it, so I just fried it up in a pan with a little butter. Besides being salty, it was pretty decent. I'm no whiz in the kitchen, so I'll be making simple recipes like the one above until I get the hang of things. We gobbled this right up, so there are no pictures to share. Sorry!

On the menu for tonight: Spaghetti and meat sauce, garlic bread, and brownies...probably need a veggie in there somewhere.

So, yes, we're settling into cohabitating life quite nicely, but we still have a long way to go until our little apartment is our little home. As always, I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

lol. Love how Tom just hopped right on that recliner.

Yay for no more long-distance! And yay for simple recipes! We definitely ate a ton of fast food after our move--my mind was on organizing everything--so kudos for eating something better :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...