Monday, May 28, 2012

What We Ate this Week

I think this post is pretty self explanatory, so here's what we've been eating the past week or so:

I have no earthly idea what we ate last Sunday, which probably means that we slept in late, didn't eat breakfast, and ate a late lunch/early dinner of oatmeal or something similar.

I think I've mentioned this before, but Boyfriend gets catered lunch at work every Monday, which means he's never really hungry for dinner. Because of this, dinner is usually pretty light. This week, we stuck to tried-and-true grilled cheese sandwiches and soup--tomato for me and chicken noodle for Boyfriend. Thanks to my George Foreman, perfectly toasted grilled cheese sandwiches could not be easier!

I had a hair appointment after work on Tuesday (more on that later), so dinner was pretty simple for the second night in a row. Boyfriend used his mom's pancake recipe (below) and I made some over-easy eggs for our yummy, easy meal. Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?

Boyfriend's Mom's Pancakes

Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups flour, 2 tsp sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg, 1 cup milk--Make enough batter for the amount of pancakes wanted.

Directions: Stir ingredients together until blended. Batter will still be slightly lumpy. Pour desired amount into a greased/buttered pan. Cook in pan on medium heat until light golden brown color. When cooked enough, the surface will be slightly bubbly and the edges will look slightly dry.
After our pancake feast, I got to work on Wednesday night's dinner, which would cook all day on Wednesday in my crock pot! This was the first time I used my crock pot, so I was a little nervous, but very excited that (theoretically) dinner would be ready when I got home from work on Wednesday. I used the following recipe and put my own spin on it:

Chicken with Italian Sausage

Ingredients: 10 ounces bulk mild or hot Italian sausage, 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 can (about 15 ounces) white beans rinsed and drained, 1 can (about 15 ounces) red beans rinsed and drained, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 medium onion chopped, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt, chopped fresh parsley to taste

Directions: Brown sausage in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain and discard fat. Spoon sausage into crock pot slow cooker. Place chicken, beans, broth, onion, pepper, and salt into crock pot slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours. Adjust seasonings, if desired. Slice each chicken thigh on the diagonal. Serve with sausage and beans. Garnish with parsley.

I followed the recipe almost exactly, except instead of sausage, I used ground beef, and instead of chicken thighs, I used two large boneless, skinless chicken breasts simply because that's what we had in the house. Just like the recipe instructs, I browned the beef in a pan and drained and discarded the fat before putting it in the crock pot. Once the chicken breasts were mostly thawed, I put them in the crock pot whole. By the time it was cooked, the chicken was tender enough that it was easy to break up by simply stirring the "stew" in the pot. To accompany the meal, I heated up a few leftover bread sticks we had in the oven.

I LOVED everything about this meal. It was delicious, it pretty much cooked itself, and I made enough to have leftovers to freeze and bring to work for lunch over the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to making crock pot meals on a weekly basis.
On Thursday night, I dug up a recipe Boyfriend and I made a long time ago: pan-seared lemon tilapia with Parmesan pasta. The exact recipe can be found here.

I was a little disappointed with this meal, but not because the recipe is bad--it's yummy, and I highly recommend it. I haven't mastered the art of every part of the meal being ready at the same time, and fish and pasta are two foods that cool off very quickly, so the meal was cold by the time we sat down to eat--not the end of the world, but a little bit disappointing. Oh well, can't win them all!
I accompanied this meal with some steamed veggies.
Our friends Justin and Sherbs (Kristin) came in town to stay with us on Friday night, so we went to HuHot for dinner with them and Jill. If you're keeping track, this means that we've been to HuHot three times in the three weekends that I've lived here. What can I say? We love it, and it's a good value!

After dinner, we walked next door to Andy's to meet up with our friends Amanda and Ian, and Boyfriend and I shared some ice cream. Sherbs, Jill, Amanda, and I chatted about traveling, weddings, and all kinds of girly things, while Boyfriend, Justin, and Ian talked about manly things like computers, work, and video games.
On Saturday morning, Boyfriend and I had to wake up early to take his car in to be inspected, so we picked up donuts from Dixie Cream Donuts for everyone to munch on once they woke up. We stuck to the breakfast basics (sprinkle, glazed, chocolate, and crullers), but I was in awe of the donuts in the shop! They had every kind of topping, filling, and doughnut type you could ever imagine! It took a lot of will power to not buy more than a dozen.
For lunch on Saturday, I broke out the George Foreman again and made tuna melts. I just mixed two cans of tuna with mayonnaise and a little lemon juice, toasted four slices of bread with a piece of American cheese on each, washed some lettuce, and put it all together for an easy and filling sandwich. Saturday was kind of a lazy day for us, and dinner followed suit. I had tomato soup and Boyfriend had cream of wheat.
After dinner, Boyfriend and I said goodbye to Sherbs and Justin, and I went to a local bar with some of my sorority sisters who were in town for a wedding. It was so fun to spend some time with some sisters that I haven't seen in a while.
Yesterday morning, I woke up and made us cheesy scrambled eggs and toast. Then, we went back to sleep for a little bit before running some errands and putting some stuff away in the apartment. For dinner, we treated ourselves to Chipotle before going to see Men in Black 3, which I actually really enjoyed!

I hope everyone is having a fun and relaxing Memorial Day weekend! It's so nice to have a day off from work today. If the weather cooperates, we'll be spending the day at the pool and then cooking out tonight!

1 comment:

ER said...

You're making me hungry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...