Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birthday Weekend

Last Tuesday, my dad texted me in the middle of the day to give him a call when I got a chance. I did and was so surprised when he offered to fly me to Columbia for my birthday weekend! Of course, I jumped at the chance to spend my birthday weekend with Boyfriend.

Fast forward to Friday--I left work at noon, went home, finished packing, and headed to the airport around 3:30. I picked up The Hunger Games before my flight and instantly dove right in. It's SO good, and I can't put it down. I'm hoping to finish it before the movie comes out in a few weeks. The movie is just about the first book, right?

My flight was pretty uneventful, and Boyfriend was waiting for me at the airport when I landed in St. Louis around 7:30. Even after three years together, I still get little butterflies when I see him for the first time after a while apart. As soon as I'm in the car and get to kiss him, however, we settle right back into the comfort of being together and it's like no time has gone by at all. After making the two-hour drive to Columbia, Boyfriend and I decided to have a late dinner at IHOP and then called it a night.

On Saturday (my birthday!), we slept in a little bit and then ran some errands. Since I was in town for the weekend, we decided to visit some apartment complexes, which I was very excited about! Unfortunately, many of the complexes we're interested in are closed on the weekend (which makes absolutely no sense), but we were able to see a couple and found one that we're very interested in. We're crossing our fingers that an apartment becomes available soon, and we're going to continue our search in the meantime!

In the midst of apartment hunting and running errands, we met up with our good friends Harrison and Alex for lunch at Agave. It was so great to catch up with wonderful friends over some yummy food and birthday margaritas. I can't wait to be able to spend time with them on a regular basis!

Boyfriend started his big boy job last week, so he wanted to take me by his new office after lunch. I'm jealous of all the perks he gets--free weekly massages, catered lunch on Mondays, lots of pre-made healthy snacks available 24/7! He's only been working there since last Wednesday, but everything seems good so far, and I really hope that he continues to enjoy what he's doing.

After running around in the beautiful weather on Saturday, we went back to Boyfriend's house and relaxed for a little bit before getting ready to go out to dinner for my birthday. I love birthdays--especially my birthday--can you tell? After I got all pretty (I love getting ready for dates because I don't get to do it very often), it was time for presents! I really had no idea what Boyfriend got me for my birthday, and I was so shocked to open not one, not two, but THREE gifts from him!

The first gift I opened was this mug from Brookish Handmade Goods (also featured on this Wish List Wednesday), and I was so excited to receive it. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books of all time and, be honest, what girl doesn't want to be reminded of Mr. Darcy's romantic words every morning while sipping coffee out of a present from her boyfriend? The second gift was a Mizzou shot glass, which I have been wanting to add to my collection for a while. Although it was simple, it was the perfect mix of fun and sentimentality.
Then it was time for me to open my last present. As I got to the bottom of the box, I spied the monogram on the white tissue paper, and I immediately let out a scream. It said Tiffany & Co., and, sure enough, I pulled out that little blue box from underneath. I seriously freaked out before I even opened the package. This was my first little blue box ever, and I couldn't believe that Boyfriend had done so much for my birthday. When I finally calmed down and my fingers stopped shaking, I untied the white ribbon and opened the box to reveal this beautiful necklace (featured on this Wish List Wednesday). All I have to say is that Boyfriend did good...real good. And I have to admit that I get a little pleasure out of telling people that "he went to Tiffany's." :)
Never one to forget a heartfelt touch, Boyfriend included these personal notes with each part of my present.
After opening presents, it was dinner time, and we went to 44 Stone--a pub-like restaurant in Columbia. I had never been there before, but I had heard good things about it, so I was excited to try it. The atmosphere was date-like and intimate without being overly fancy and stuffy (I wore dark skinny jeans, a silky top, and boots). After perusing the menu, I ordered a glass of the house Chardonnay and the butternut squash and apple sandwich with bacon (ah-maz-ing). Boyfriend ordered a cup of the chicken tortilla soup and the whiskey grilled salmon, and we shared the pub cheese fritters (sinful!) and the Irish coffee bread pudding (soooooooooo good) to start and finish. Everything was delicious, and I'm so glad I got to try a new place while I was in town and, of course, go on a birthday date with my boy!
We slept in a little bit on Sunday and then woke up, picked up Tom's good friend, Drew, who he wanted me to meet, and went to lunch at Noodles & Co., where I cashed in my free birthday bowl. Then, we went to Coldstone to say hi to Tom's cousin who works there. Guess we ate our way through the weekend...

After getting ice cream, we dropped Drew off and hit the road to St. Louis so I could catch my flight. Even though it's not convenient to drive about two hours between Columbia and St. Louis to get to the airport, I love spending that uninterrupted time with Boyfriend. It's nice. :)

Once I got to the airport and said goodbye to Boyfriend (for maybe the last time ever!), I jumped right back into reading The Hunger Games. After a few delays thanks to the weather, I made it home in one piece and said goodbye to absolutely wonderful weekend.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I AM SO JEALOUS THAT YOU WENT TO NOODLE CO.!!!!!!!!!!

Now that my food issues are out of the way...YAY FOR A FANTASTIC BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...