Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bits of My Weekend, volume # who knows

I've lost track of what number Bits of My Weekend post this is. I've combined and skipped so many weekends that it's kind of impossible to keep count anymore, so from now on it will just be Bits of My Weekend with no number. It's my blog and I'll do what I want!

I'm going to sit down and write about my trip to Spain soon. I promise. I don't know why I am having such a hard time doing this. The trip was incredible. I loved it, and I want to write about it. Maybe that's why I'm having such a hard time getting around to it. I just have so much to say and I don't want to leave anything out, so I don't want to sit down to post and then not have enough time to do it justice. The posts are coming, though. I promise.

Before I get even further behind, I want to post about a little trip my dad, stepmom, brother, and I took to Detroit this past weekend. Why did we go to Detroit in the middle of winter? Because we're crazy, of course! Well, not really (but kind of). We actually went to celebrate my dad's 50th birthday.

A little back story here: my dad is incredibly difficult to shop for. He doesn't really want many things, and if he does want something, he will buy it for himself. Over the years, I have watched him exchange countless birthday and Father's Day gifts, so we knew we had to do something big for his big birthday. We put our heads together and focused on one specific thing about my dad. He loves cars. We're talking total car connoisseur, here. Obviously, we couldn't buy him a new car (because we wouldn't pick out the right one, of course), so we decided to do something different. We decided to take him to the car show of car shows: the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. See, my dad goes to the car show at the Texas State Fair every year, but the one in Detroit is the one to see.

We also knew that we had to plan every detail of the trip from start to finish, because my dad would try to think up every excuse not to go. Trust me when I say my dad is super anal about everything, so we had his travel agent plan a lot of it so my dad would feel more comfortable. With the flights and hotel booked, and the tickets to the show purchased, it was time to decide how to tell him.

His birthday is in September, so we wanted to give him something cool to tell him about the car show since it was still a while away. My stepmom owns her own video business, so she came up with the idea to put together a full, personalized video for my dad telling him about the trip. We asked family members and some of his friends to send in videos wishing him a happy birthday. I wrote a script, and she had one of her colleagues narrate it. I love how it turned out! Unfortunately, you won't be seeing it right this second. Sorry for the awesome build-up! I thought I had the link to it, but it turns out it has expired, so I will be sure to post it as soon as I get the new link from my stepmom. Just think of it as something to look forward to!

My dad was definitely surprised to say the least. At first, I think he was so impressed with the video that he didn't fully grasp that we were taking him on a trip. He watched the video a few more times and then started getting excited. Then, we waited.

Last Friday night, we were on our way to snowy, frigid Detroit. We stayed in the Renaissance Center Marriott in downtown Detroit, which is connected to the GMC headquarters. My dad loved that! We were able to walk around our hotel and check out all of the newly released cars. On Saturday, we headed over to Cobo Convention Center for the show! It was huge. I could not believe how big it was and how many people were there. I guess I didn't realize how big of a deal it really is. The Department of Homeland Security people that were directing the crowd inside the convention center kind of made that obvious.

All of the major car companies (plus some) had displays there. The displays must have cost a fortune. They all had hundreds of LCD screens with lights and music and various areas for guests. It really was quite impressive. Now, I have to admit that cars aren't really my thing. Sure, I enjoyed sitting in a Smart Car, a fancy Mercedes, and the Jeep Liberty, which I have been in love with forever, but I was more interested in the "culture" of the place, I guess you could call it. I liked seeing the people, especially the ones (mostly the women) who appeared to have worn the highest heels, biggest diamonds, and most expensive furs they owned, as if to make it obvious to others that they could easily afford the specialty cars.

Overall, I liked the show and I'm glad to write it down on my list of life experiences, but my dad loved it. Seriously loved it, and that was the best part.

More to come,
Sara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...