Friday, October 22, 2010

Happy face

Today was a good day.  Actually, the past 48 hours have been pretty good.

I applied for a writing internship about two weeks ago.  I received an email at the end of last week asking me to submit a writing assessment.  That night, I received a phone call asking me to come in for an interview the next day.  I went in for my interview on Tuesday afternoon and left with mixed feelings.  I was interested in the position and thought the interview went well enough, but it was my first interview for a "real job" and I had a mental list of about twenty things I wish I had done or said differently.  I did something right, apparently, because I got a phone call that night saying that I had gotten the job!  I can't believe that I heard back from them so quickly!  Not only did I hear back quickly, but I started quickly, as well!  Today was my first day!  Talk about a whirlwind!

Basically, I am working as a writing intern for a company that does marketing for dental practices both domestically and internationally.  The company has only been around for a few months, but they appear to be off to a strong start!  As far as I know, the majority of my responsibilities will be researching dental topics and writing and publishing posts on client's blogs.  I am so excited to have an internship, rather than just a regular part time job, because I will learn a lot.  I did a lot of observing and tutorial tasks today, although I did get to write an article that will most likely be published on one of the dentist's blogs tomorrow.  I wrote and rewrote the article several times after my boss tore it apart.  She is an incredible writer and she was very nice about all of the changes she made.  It is already obvious to me that I will learn a lot and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this works out well and will help me in my future career endeavors. 

Also, this week is Homecoming week at Mizzou.  First of all, Mizzou's homecoming is HUGE!  After all, Homecoming was founded at Mizzou in 1911.  Since then, it has become the biggest event of the year for everyone associated with Mizzou, especially the students involved in Greek letter fraternities and sororities.  I explained what pomping and house decorations are in this post, but there are about a million and five other components of homecoming that Greek life participates and competes in.  Service and the blood drive (which happens to be one of the largest in the country) are worth a lot of points, but the other highest amount of points comes from talent.  Each Greek pairing, consisting of a sorority and either 2 or 3 fraternities, must come up with an elaborate skit in which they have to make reference to the Mizzou theme, Greek theme, Homecoming football opponent, and several other things.  Two dance routines, a song, and an introduction video are also part of the talent portion.  For example, my sorority, Phi Mu, was paired with the fraternities Lambda Chi Alpha and Phi Kappa Psi this year.  The Mizzou theme was "Homecoming: Set in Stone" and the Greek theme was board games, in which Phi Mu was assigned Chess.  The Homecoming football game this Saturday will be against OU.  Oh, and by the way, ESPN's College Game Day will be covering Homecoming weekend live from the Mizzou campus....no big deal.  :]

Basically, my sister's and their partners kicked some serious talent butt on Tuesday night at Talent Prelims and moved on to Finals, which took place tonight!  Only five of the fourteen pairings continued on to finals!  What makes this all even sweeter is that this is the first time in 4 years that Phi Mu has made it past prelims!  Phi Mu and their partners are up for six superlatives (more than any other pairing), including Best Actress (who happens to be one of my best friends and old roommate), Best Supporting Actress, Best Actor, Best Props, Best Costumes, and Most Creative Script!  I could not be prouder of my sisters!  I even got to see all of the skit performances all the way from Texas because they were broadcast live on the internet this year!  Check out the skit performances here and the Phi Mu blog post here.  Final announcements for all of the homecoming events are Sunday night!

As if I haven't done enough bragging already, the Mizzou Phi Mu chapter was featured on the TOMS Shoes blog on October 8 for sporting gold, sparkly TOMS during recruitment!  A link to the story can be found on Phi Mu's National website.  You can read the TOMS blog post and see a picture of my beautiful sisters on the Phi Mu blog.

Obviously, I am very excited to be employed and to be a Phi Mu!  Life is good!

More to come,
Sara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...