Saturday, September 18, 2010

Transferring Tales: Wrapping it Up

As of this past Thursday, I completed my first three weeks of classes at UNT.  Now that I have been to every class at least twice and have gotten into the groove of school, I decided it was time to wrap up the Transferring Tales series and move on with my daily life here at UNT.  Take a look back and read parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I have to say that I like my classes.  I do enjoy some more than others, but overall, they are all good so far.  I think my favorite class is Shakespeare, which I have on Monday nights from 6 to 9pm.  I am just about as shocked as you are that this particular course is in the running for my favorite, but I am really enjoying it.  My teacher is very enthusiastic and almost everything is new to me because I haven't read much Shakespeare before.  I think I am really going to enjoy it!  The rest of my classes are alright.  My biology lab on Wednesdays is long, but it's only once a week and I have already met a few people that I will probably study with.  Spanish is still very difficult and daunting, but my teacher keeps reassuring me that it will get easier.  Yiddish literature and Principles of Rhetoric are alright.  I don't love them, but they are interesting.

I have my first set of tests coming up in the next two weeks, plus a good amount of homework and reading that I need to get done this weekend.  This is the first weekend I have stayed on campus and, honestly, I am thankful for the distraction.  I have learned that keeping busy is a good thing because it keeps my mind occupied and away from the fact that I am not at Mizzou.  Things are definitely getting better here.  I am beginning to find my niche, but there are definitely times when I still get up upset.  I am busy with school work and the mountains of reading I have to do for my classes every day, but all I do is go to class, do homework, and work out.  I need a job, for more reasons than one, and I would love to be involved in something on campus.  This is the first time in my life that I have ever just done school and nothing else.  I miss being involved and busy.  I have been working on tackling the issue of finding a job, but haven't had any luck yet.  I'll keep you posted as I continue my search.

I met with my academic advisor this past Thursday, which was definitely an important step in the transferring process.  Basically, we sat down, looked at my credits, and figured out what I still need to earn my degree and graduate.  At most, I need 33 credits to graduate.  That is two 15-hour semesters and a summer course.  There is a possibility that I can combine two courses and get my hours needed down to 30, but the bottom line is that I will be graduating a semester early in December of 2011.  I am so excited that everything worked out like this!  I did find out that the requirements for earning a Spanish minor have changed and that I need to complete one more class than I thought I did, which I am not happy about at all.  I am so ready to be done with Spanish, but I can deal with it.  Although it is not the most ideal news ever, it does open up my options for study abroad programs.  I'm still crossing my fingers that studying abroad is in the cards for me!

I still haven't gone to a UNT football game yet, but I am planning on going to the next home game on October 2 against Louisiana Lafayette.  Other than that, I am more or less acclimated.  Forming a routine has helped me become more comfortable here and I know that I will only grow to be more comfortable in the future.

As always, I'll keep you posted.

More to come,
Sara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...