Monday, September 13, 2010

Bits of My Weekend, volume 9

First and foremost, I hope everyone had a happy start to their new year!  The Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah, which marks the beginning of the new year, began Wednesday evening at sun down and ended on Thursday at sun down.

I came home after class on Thursday (after a very short, three day week) and was welcomed by the smells of traditional holiday foods as soon as I walked through the door.  I was in heaven!  I spent the afternoon hanging out with my family and helping my mom cook the holiday meal.  She made brisket, and I helped with the matzah ball soup and kugle.
In the making:
Photobucket
The final product:
Photobucket

Kugle is my favorite holiday food, by far.  It's a sweet noodle dish that I have always loved.  I'm sure that my family has it much more often than just the holidays it is traditionally eaten on, but we don't care.  We love it!  My mom taught me how to make it this year!  It's not complicated, but I never really had the interest to learn how until now.  We even made two complete kugles just so we would have leftovers to munch on for the week and that I could bring some back to school with me.  I will post the recipe when I can get my hands on it because it is amazing and everyone should experience the sweet, crispy, goodness that is kugle.
In the making:
Photobucket
Photobucket
The finished yummy-ness:
Photobucket

We had a very nice holiday dinner and enjoyed each other's company.  Even though we didn't go to services this year like we usually do, the holiday was special and brought in the new year in a great way!

I passed out incredibly early that night.  My brother had been using my bed for storage since I have been away at school and new sheets had not been put on my bed since I left, so I ended up sleeping on the couch all weekend.  Oh well.
Photobucket

I went to lunch and ran some errands with my stepmom on Friday.  She doesn't work on Fridays and I don't have class, so we end up having lunch somewhat frequently.  I was able to get rain boots while we were out and about.  I desperately needed them, if you don't remember.  I spent the rest of the day just hanging out at home and working on homework.
Photobucket

I slept in late on Saturday and then ran some errands.  Both Mizzou and UNT had their first home games this weekend, but unfortunately, I did not go to either of them.  Mizzou won, but sadly UNT lost against Rice by just a point or two.  Around 5pm, I headed over to my old high school for my brother's marching band fundraiser.  The fundraiser was a silent auction that included a catered BBQ dinner and a performance by the band.  The real fundraiser, however, was called the "Cow Patty Plop".  Basically, the football field was divided into however many spots and people bought $2 tickets that corresponded to spots on the field.  If the live cow "plopped" in your spot then you had your choice of a large, flat screen TV and media package worth $4,000 or a cruise package worth $4,000.  I bought five tickets, but sadly, I was not the winner.  My mom was one of the people in charge of planning and running the event and she did a great job!  The evening went smoothly, except for one detail.  The cow didn't show up!  The cow had been booked for the event about two months prior to it, but the farmer realized the morning of the auction that he had no way to transport the cow.  Seriously?!  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  The winner was picked by a different method and everything turned out fine, but this was the only cow to be found:
Photobucket

Afterwards, I went home and freshened up, and then went to a surprise birthday party with Travis at one of his friend's apartments.  I was nervous at first, but I knew a few people there and met a bunch more!  It felt so good to get out and be a normal college kid again.  There were even people from UNT there!  I chatted with a few of them, but it was hard to really get their names or anything.  I had a good time and it made me a little bit more confident that I will meet people eventually.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

I slept in pretty late today and then got ready and went over to my dad's house.  His 50th birthday is this Wednesday, so we celebrated today when we could be together as a family.  My dad is an incredibly difficult person to shop for, so my stepmom, brother, and I planned a trip for the four of us to go to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit!  We planned out every detail down to our flights and hotel reservations.  My dad is a smart guy, so he had already figured out that we are going to Detroit, but he had no idea why we are going.  He was so surprised and I think he is really excited!  The event isn't until January, so it is still a little while away, but it is such a perfect gift for him.  We put together a DVD for him to watch that told him what the gift was.  It started out with birthday greetings from various family members and his friends and then went into a personalized commercial that told the specifics of our trip.  I wrote the script for the commercial and my stepmom had a friend narrate it.  My stepmom owns her own video business, so the entire thing looks very professional.  I'll post it on here once she sends me the link.

We went to dinner at Pappadeaux, which is one of our favorite restaurants.  After dinner, I came home, got my stuff together, and headed back to school.  I have been working on homework and just hanging out since I got back.  Currently, I am contemplating marching upstairs to the room right above me and asking, somewhat rudely, if they could stop slamming things on the floor.  I am used to hearing lots of banging from up there, but tonight has been ridiculous.  It's like they are throwing furniture off their bed or something.  It is almost midnight, come on.

Have a good week,
Sara

2 comments:

Emily R said...

i love the picture of the cow wearing Chucks!

sherilee said...

Great weekend, and wow on the yummy looking food. Can I join your family?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...