Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Bits of My Weekend, volume 8

Well the secret is out, so I can finally post about it!  Sorry about this Bits of My Weekend being a little bit late.  I was gone all weekend and was busy getting stuff ready for school last night.

I made a little trip to CoMo this weekend that only Tom and a few close friends knew about.  I decided to spice things up a little bit and surprise all of my Phi Mu girls that live in the house on campus!

I was done with class on Thursday at 12:30, so I went back to my dorm, finished getting my stuff together, and headed home to meet my stepmom so she could drop me off at the airport.  My flight was only slightly delayed, surprisingly, and Tom met me at the airport when my flight landed!  I always love the first time we see each other after not being together for a while.  Every time I land in STL, I get so nervous, and excited, and tingly, and check my mirror to make sure I look alright about twenty-five times before I get off the plane and jump into his arms.  I feel like it's our first date all over again, or something.  I just get so excited and realize how lucky I am that he's all mine.

We decided to grab a late dinner at Chick-fil-a in the St. Charles area.  Tom was so excited!  For years, I enjoyed Chick-fil-a at home, but once I got to Mizzou, I realized how precious it really is.  There was a Chick-fil-a in Brady Commons at Mizzou for a short time before it was demolished to make room for the new student center to be built, so the Mizzouians were left with nothing to satisfy their Chick-fil-a cravings.  I think Tom has requested that we go to Chick-fil-a at least twice every time he has visited my home in Carrollton, where there are free-standing Chick-fil-a restaurants all over, just like there are all over Texas.  Needless to say, Tom was super excited and more than willing to make the 20 minute drive to eat some yummy Chick-fil-a with me, his oh-so-wonderful girlfriend.  We then got back in the car and made our way to Columbia.  I think we finally got there around 11pm or so.

Tom had class at 11am on Friday morning, so I went to campus with him and went over to the Phi Mu house.  Jill was supposed to meet me at the house around 11 to let me in because nobody else knew I was coming, but I got there early and her class got out a little late, so I ended up beating her there.  I was just creeping around in the house parking lot because I didn't know the code to get in the house and I didn't want to just show up inside when nobody knew I was coming, so I, being my creepy self, was standing awkwardly in the parking lot when I saw Jordin run across the parking lot to the annex in her pajamas after getting breakfast in the house.  I yelled out her name and she came running over to give me a hug.  She was so surprised to see me!  She was about to let me into the house when my friend Brittany came running over from the annex after thinking she heard my voice.  Apparently I'm loud.  Who knew?  She came running over and started screaming about how excited she was for me to be here!  Hahaha, I have the best friends.  I followed her up to her room, where I surprised her roommates and some of the other girls.  Everyone was so shocked and excited to see me!
Photobucket
I hid behind the door when I heard Jamie coming up the stairs.  As soon as she came into the room, I jumped out from behind the door and she burst into tears, which of course, made me start to cry.  It was just so great to see everyone and, what can I say, I can be very emotional sometimes.  I ran outside to see Jill as soon as I saw her coming up the walkway.  I love that girl!  We went into the house and had lunch as I started to make my rounds and surprise people.  A lot of people had to do double takes when they saw me.  It was like they weren't surprised to see me because I was supposed to be there, but then they realized I was there just visiting and got all excited.  I saw a few people and then went with Jamie to the bookstore where she needed to return a book.  She showed me all around the brand new student center, which I have to say is pretty nice, and then we went to Starbucks to kill some time before her class.  I enjoyed just catching up and getting to talk to her face to face.  She is one of my best friends and I miss her so much!

I went back to the house alone after Jamie went to class.  It was odd to be alone on campus, walking the same paths and passing the same buildings that had become so familiar throughout my two years at Mizzou.   It was so familiar and I loved it, but I also did have a sense of the feeling that I didn't belong there anymore.  I love the pride that can be felt around campus and that "big school buzz" that I haven't yet felt at UNT.  I love beautiful Memorial Union and impressive Faurot Field, but the Quad and columns overlooked by Jesse Hall never cease to amaze me.  It is such a powerful and calm place that really epitomizes college culture and Mizzou, in general.  It was a beautiful sunny, breezy day, and I was lucky enough to spend some time on a column with a few friends.  It was perfect.
Photobucket
I surprised more people when I got back to the house.  I got to see more of my close friends, my little sister, and my grandbaby!  The looks on their faces were priceless!  Is there anything more satisfying than surprising someone?  I think not!
Photobucket
Jamie, Kelsey, Brittany, and Andrea all left around 3 to go to St. Louis for the Mizzou/Illinois game, which cued a photoshoot and several heartfelt goodbyes.  I can't wait to see these girls again, hopefully sooner than later!

Tom came over and hung out at the house with me and a few of the other girls during his break between classes.  I think he is almost as missed at the house as I am.  He spent a lot of time over there last school year hanging out with me.  He was a regular guest at lunch and dinner and has become good friends with many of my sisters.  He still hangs out with them and I will not be surprised one bit if they start inviting him over to hang out and asking him to be their dates (platonic, of course) to socials.
Photobucket
Jill, Sherbs, Elizabeth, and I headed over to Huhot around 6:30 for dinner.  Tom met us there after work, and Anna, Lindsay, Passini, and Corey also joined us!  Getting to see everyone was so great!  I'm glad Sherbs came to dinner before heading home for the weekend because it gave me a chance to spend some time with her.  Great friends, great food!  What else could I ask for?  Tom and I went over to Anna and Lindsay's apartment for a little while after dinner and then went home and hung out for the rest of the night.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday was a pretty lazy day.  Tom and I just hung out and enjoyed each other's company.  I have to admit that I love days like that sometimes.  I feel like the small stuff, like watching a movie together and just hanging out, are just as, if not more, important in a relationship as the big stuff, such as anniversaries.  I miss seeing Tom and spending time with him on a daily basis, so I really enjoy just being with him and being us when we are together.  We went to the Heidelberg around 7pm to celebrate Lindsay and Anna's twenty-first birthdays.  I was in town for Lindsay's actual birthday about a month ago, but she and Anna decided to have a big birthday bash now that everyone is back in town for school.  A lot of people did go home for the weekend, but there was a decent turnout.  It was really good to see some friends that I haven't seen in a while and don't talk to on a regular basis!
Photobucket
After dinner, we moved the party to the apartment that a few of our friends live in.  It was a great night!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Sunday consisted of sleeping in, lunch, and seeing a "The Other Guys" with Tom.  The movie was decent, but a little odd.  I got to break in my brand new, gold, sparkly TOMS for the first time!  Phi Mu at Mizzou wore them on one of the days of recruitment and I had ordered them before I found out I was leaving, so I was able to pick them up when I was at the house.  Aren't the fabulous?!
Photobucket

On Monday, Tom and I had lunch and then headed to the airport in St. Louis.  I always hate saying goodbye, but it's always inevitable.  Tom and I won't see each other again until Thanksgiving break when he comes down to visit me.  That's more than two month away, which is longer than we have been apart recently, but we've done longer and I know we will be just fine.  It is nice, however, that we do know when the next time we will be together is because we have something to look forward to and nothing is uncertain.

I didn't run into any problems flying home on Monday night, which is always nice!  My dad and stepmom met me at the airport and took me home.  They spent the holiday weekend in New York and we were able to coordinate our flights to land at just about the same time.  My brother met up with us and we had dinner at a local Mexican restaurant.  Then I made a quick stop at my mom's house to say hello before I drove back to Denton and got ready for school to start today.

Have a good week,
Sara

1 comment:

Jordin Leslie said...

So glad I got to see you and you had a great weekend! Love you girl!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...