Thursday, August 26, 2010

Transferring Tales: Day 4

I was planning on getting up early yesterday, grabbing a quick breakfast, and hitting the UNT rec center for the first time, but my alarm went off at 8:30am and I quickly decided that wasn't happening, so I ended up sleeping until about 11am.  I was a little disappointed that I slept in so much, but I had gotten up before 9am every day since I moved in, so I gave myself a break. 

After lounging in my room and messing around on the computer for a little while, I threw myself together and headed over to one of the dining halls for lunch.  This was the dining hall that I had eaten at for dinner the night before.  Once again, I wasn't wowed by the food, but it's decent and will do.  It was overcast and incredibly cool for this time of year, so I took advantage of it and walked around to find my classes.  Most of my classes are in the language building, which is on the edge of campus and very far away from my dorm.  I have four classes in this building.  Three of them are English classes and one is a Spanish course.  Don't laugh at me, but I took a picture of one of the classrooms while I was walking around, mostly because Tom and I had been talking about how dinky and small English classrooms usually are.
All four of my classrooms look exactly like this:
Photobucket

When I was leaving the building, I passed a little area that is very flowery and has swinging benches scattered around.  I definitely want to go back there with a cup of coffee and something to read when the weather gets nicer and isn't as unbearable.  It is between the language building and the auditorium building, which is beautiful.  I may have found my favorite spot on campus.

I also found my Biology lecture and lab classrooms.  The biology building is conveniently located right next to the dining hall I have been eating at, so I can grab some lunch and head right next door to class!  I then went to the bookstore to pick up a book that had been on back order, bringing my textbook grand total to 19 books for five classes!  Ugh.  I was walking around in the Union and saw a bulletin board about Dance Marathon.  I participated in Dance Marathon both of my years at Mizzou and was on the steering committee this past year.  Not only does Dance Marathon benefit Children's Miracle Network, which is a cause near and dear to my heart, but it is such a blast to participate in.  I went to the student activities office and asked the girl sitting at the desk where I could get more information.  I guess I chose the right person to talk to because she happened to be the student director for UNT's Dance Marathon.  We chatted for a few minutes and she added me to the email listserve so I will be sent information.  I would love to participate in this event because it is something I am incredibly passionate about and it would be a great opportunity to meet people!

I came back to my room and hung out for a while and then showered and got ready for Mean Green Fling, which is a campus-wide event to kick off the school year.  Every student/campus organization as well as local businesses had booths set up with information, free food, giveaways, live music, etc.  Campus was extremely crowded, but I didn't mind.  It was so nice to see so many students around!  I went with my friends Shannon and Maddie and just walked around, ate, and even participated in a few games, but I didn't win anything other than a consolation prize.  I'm glad I went to this event because it was one of my first tastes of campus life here at UNT.  Afterward, we went back to Shannon's dorm and hung out for a little while.  Then I left and came home to get ready for the next day.

I know that I need to post about today, but I need to go grab some dinner now.  Hopefully, I will be able to post tonight, but if not, I will fill you in tomorrow!

More to come,
Sara

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...