Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Transferring Tales: Day 3

Hello Faithful Readers,

Sorry I didn't post this yesterday.  I was oddly wiped out at the end of the day and just didn't have the energy to write it.

Yesterday was definitely a continuing step in the right direction!  I woke up around 9, threw myself together, and ventured to the nearest dining hall, which is in the dorm next door, for breakfast.  Several people have warned be about this dining hall, saying it is much less than satisfactory for several reasons, but I decided to try it out for breakfast because I need a place that is close and that I can get in and out of quickly before I head to class.  Once I figured out that there were no trays to carry your plate on, I looked around and was pretty content with the options.  I don't know if the menu changes daily, but yesterday morning they had scrambled and hard boiled eggs, biscuits, bacon, waffles, a variety of cereals, yogurt, and fresh fruit, plus coffee, and other drinks.  I realize that it's pretty difficult to mess up breakfast, but I was more than satisfied with the options!  Maybe the lack of crowds will come in handy and allow me to get in and out quickly and be on my way.

After breakfast, I came back to my room, showered, and got ready for my choir audition.  I wasn't quite sure what to wear, but I decided to go with a fairly conservative black sundress and a light-weight white cardigan.  You can never go wrong with classy black and white! I practiced for a little while before my friend Shannon picked me up to go over to the Music building to warm up in a practice room.  My audition was at 1pm, which was the first slot after lunch, so I had to wait for the directors to get set up for the afternoon auditions.  I filled out some paperwork and went into the sight-reading room for the first part of my audition.  I was so terrified about this part because I haven't sightread since high school, which I finished two years ago!  The lady auditioning me told me that I could take as much time as I needed to go through and study the line and that I could speak through it, but I couldn't sing anything.  Ummmm, what?!  I instantly started shaking!  How can you learn a line if you can't sing a note?!  It wasn't off to a good start.  She played my starting pitch and triad on the piano, but of course I couldn't sing anything, so it wasn't much help.  I started to speak through the line and had about two measures left when she asked me if I was ready.  I thought I had all the time I needed!  I mean, I wasn't going to be ridiculous and take 20 minutes, but I thought I could at least have two minutes or something.  I managed to gulp out a "yes" and right before she played my starting pitch on the piano, the angels stepped in.  One of the other directors came into the office and started looking for something, which caused the woman to stop, which gave me time to look at and learn the rest of the line.  Hallelujah!  After he left, she played my pitches again and I got started.  I have to be honest, it was rough.  While the rhythm wasn't difficult, the note skips and steps were incredibly challenging.  After I finished she said that I had done a pretty good job and that the line was pretty hard.  She asked me to go back and do the last few measures again, which helped me because I definitely did them better the second time than I did the first.  We chatted for a minute about how I hadn't been in choir in two years and she commented on the fact that I went to Creekview High School and that it has a very good choral program, so that was a good sign.  Then it was time to go in to the performance portion of the audition.  I went into a large choir room with two choir directors, a man who I think was an assistant director, and a piano accompanist.  I introduced myself and they asked me a few questions like which choir I had been in last year, to which I replied that I was a new transfer student, and which choir I was in at Mizzou, to which I replied that I hadn't been in choir since high school.  The assistant seemed to be somewhat taken aback that I hadn't been in choir in the past two years, but he did ask me what my major is, to which I replied English, and he replied with a very enthusiastic "good for you"!  We did some vocalizing exercises and tested my range and then I performed the piece I had prepared for the audition.  I sang Aria 1 of Vivaldi's "Vieni Vieni".  I feel like this part of the audition went well!  Of course, there are always things that could have been done better or differently, but I am happy with my performance!  Hopefully, the choir directors are as too, and I see my name posted on the Concert Choir list on Friday morning.  Send lots of warm wishes my way, please!

After auditions, Shannon, our friend Maddie, and I went to Walmart to pick up a few snacks for our rooms.  I bought some Cheez-Its, which are probably my favorite snack in the whole world, and some yogurt, but of course I forgot to get plastic spoons, so I'll have to figure that one out.  Shannon decided to take us to The Square, which is the old downtown area of Denton.  The area has several cute boutiques, restaurants, bars, and an old-style theater.  We had yummy ice cream at this old-fashioned ice cream shop called Beth Marie's.
Peanut Butter Fudge and Amaretto Cheesecake!  Yummm!:
Photobucket

Shannon dropped me back off at my dorm and I just lounged around for a while.  It rained on and off all day yesterday and I all I wanted to do was in lay in bed and watch TV, so I caught up on a few shows I had waiting for me on Hulu.  Around 6pm, I headed over to Bruce dining hall to try it out for dinner.  I wasn't super impressed with the food, but it was alright overall.  The menu changes everyday, so I'll probably go try it out for lunch today.  Meal times are definitely something I am going to have to get used to because I HATE eating alone.  I always have hated it.  I consider myself a friendly and social person and needless to say, I don't cope well with being lonely.  In fact, I think I only ate alone in a dining hall once during the whole two years I was at Mizzou.  I scarfed down my dinner in about ten minutes and got out of there.  I'm just going to have to get used to it, I guess.

I attempted to find my classes after dinner, but I didn't start at my dorm and didn't have a map with me, so it didn't go well.  Finding my classes is on my agenda for today because my first class is at 8am tomorrow and I know I won't be awake enough to deal with getting lost.  I wandered into the Union and stumbled across an Open Mic Night, so I stayed and watched for a little while.  I have to say, some very talented people go to school here.  Of course, UNT's music program is incredibly accomplished and well-known, and it's definitely nice to see some culture around campus.  That being said, I am surprised at how "hippie-dippy" the people are here.  This is very much a liberal arts school and you can tell by looking at many of the students here.  It's not a bad thing, of course.  It's just incredibly different from the people who attend middle-America Mizzou.

After I walked around, I came back to my room and was just sitting around doing nothing when my suite mate knocked on my door and asked if I wanted to watch a movie with her and her friend.  I could have died!  That was so nice of them to think to include me.  I miss just hanging out with friends, so it was definitely a nice gesture.  Hopefully I can return the favor soon!

Besides talking to my parents and Tom before bed and watching some more TV, that was basically the end of my day.  It wasn't the most exciting, but again, progress is progress.

I should get going because I have a few things I need to get done today, but I will be updating later.

More to come,
Sara

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I hate hate HATE sight-reading! I've never ever been good at it. And honestly it's never hampered my ability to sing in choir. I'm sure you did fabulous on your audition -- let me know what happens!

That ice cream looks delicious...I love quaint downtowns :) And how nice of your suitemate!!

I haven't explored much of campus here yet -- I've been in the Union, in the Liberal Arts building (where I have all of my classes and my office) and in the Education building, where I'll be teaching. My classroom is HUGE! And it's one with a computer, which is apparently rare here. (I'm so spoiled coming from Mizzou and expecting lots of tech stuff...)

Miss you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...