Friday, August 20, 2010

Bring it.

I'm packing.  Surprisingly, I haven't had a meltdown, or freaked out, or felt the need to do the "Sara Whine" as my friends have lovingly named it.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  I am never this calm and collected while packing.  Tomorrow, however, is crunch time, so I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't believe I move into my dorm at UNT on Sunday.  I'll be officially starting a new chapter of my life this weekend and, as to be expected, I have mixed feelings about it.  As I've mentioned, ever-so-subtly I might add,  I am beyond sad to be leaving my life at Mizzou, but in a lot of ways I am excited for a change.  I guess excited-scared to death is what I'm feeling right now.  I'm terrified to be starting over as a junior in college.  It just seems late in the game to have to meet new people, learn about a new school, etc.  I'm really scared.

That being said, I am also excited for a few things that will be new to me.  I am an English major at UNT, which is something I have wanted to do for a while.  I never did and never would have had the opportunity to pursue English at Mizzou, just because of the high cost of out of state tuition and the prestige of the journalism school.  I am very excited about being able to major in something that I think I will enjoy and be interested in.

I want to make the most of my time at UNT and do things that I didn't have time to do at Mizzou due to my busy schedule of school and sorority commitments.  I drove up to the UNT campus yesterday and signed up for a choir audition!  I was in choir all through elementary, middle, and high school, and absolutely loved it.  I was extremely active in it in high school and have missed it terribly the past two years.  I don't want to say too much and jinx my audition, but I am hoping that it works out.  I audition on Tuesday at 1pm, so wish me luck and I'll let you know how it goes!  I also want to join at least another club or organization or something.  I would love to get involved with UNT's Dance Marathon because I enjoyed being an active part of it at Mizzou and think anything benefiting Children's Miracle Network is more than worthwhile.

I am also happy to report that I will now be going to school with two of my very best friends.  Travis and I have been best friends for forever and Chelsea and I met in middle school and became great friends in high school.  Of course, I want to branch out and meet new people, but it will be nice to have a pre-existing support system.  This will be Travis' first semester at UNT as well, so we will be able to experience all of these changes together.

I don't know how I'll feel when I am all alone in my room on Sunday night after my parents leave.  I'm sure I'll bounce back and forth between being an emotional wreck and looking on the bright side.  I am excited about things though, and this post will serve as a good reminder.  I've adopted a new mantra:  Different doesn't have to be bad.  It's just different.

It's not the most profound statement ever, but it's so true.  I have the power to make this transition a positive one, and I would be a fool not to.  I have the opportunity to meet new people, learn something new, and become more independent and open-minded.  Even though I'm scared to death, this will make me stronger.

Bring it on, UNT.

More to come,
Sara

1 comment:

George Weasley said...

Girl, we're in the same boat, only you've got your act together and I'm still struggling to get my life back on track. Props to you for being so strong and optimistic. You'll have a fabulous time at UNT and if you need sister time, I'm only 45 minutes away!

Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...