Monday, August 23, 2010

Bits of My Weekend, volume 6

Well, I am typing this post from my dorm room at UNT.  I am officially moved in and, just as I expected, I am an emotional wreck.  More on that later, though.

Most of Friday was spent packing up my room and belongings in preparation of the big move.

I ran around like crazy on Saturday with my dad and stepmom doing errands and such.  I got a new battery for my Mac because mine recently decided to start lasting only about 45 minutes, tops.  I guess it's to be expected.  MacBook Pro batteries usually only last about two years before you have to replace them, which is exactly how long I have had this computer.  $129 and an incredibly hectic and ill-organized Apple store later, I am the proud owner of a new replacement battery.  So exciting, I know.  I also got my car completely washed and vacuumed that day, which was a first for my little Versa baby!  My dad insisted that I had a clean and shiny car to take to school with me.

My brother, dad, stepmom, and I went to dinner that night at one of our favorite restaurants, Chamberlain's.  Every year, DFW KRLD hosts Dallas Restaurant Week, which is a three week event at popular Dallas restaurants where three course meals are available for a set price and a portion of the proceeds benefit the North Texas Food Bank.  My family generally participates every year.

The real highlight of my Saturday, however, was seeing my pledge baby, Whitney!  Whitney joined Phi Mu last bid day and we instantly became great friends and she eventually became my little!  She is one of my best friends and I absolutely love her to death.  Sadly, Whitney is not going back to Mizzou this year either, and will instead be transferring back to her hometown of Houston.  It's funny how things work out, isn't it?  Whitney and her boyfriend, Josh, had driven up to Columbia at the end of last week to pick up some things she had stored there and made a stop in Carrollton on their way back so we could see each other!  We just sat for a few hours at Starbucks and talked, caught up, and commiserated together about our futures away from Phi Mu and each other.   I seriously love this girl to death!  In a lot of ways, I am so incredibly glad we will both be in Texas because it means we can see each other!  I know I will be making my way to Houston at some point in the near future, and I'm sure Whitney will come visit me in Denton!  We had a photo shoot in the parking lot mostly for this blog post, of course.  As much as we love each other, we have never been able to take a good picture together.  These are no exception.  Many thanks to Josh for being so patient with us.  :]
Photobucket
Photobucket

I moved in to my dorm at UNT today.  My family and I got here at about 8:30 this morning and spent the day moving me in and picking up a few last minute things at Target and Walmart.  We broke up the day with lunch at my beloved Chipotle, but it was better than usual!  My burrito was free!  Texas Chipotle stores were giving away free burritos today for tax free weekend if you showed a Chipotle receipt from August 17 or 18.  Maybe I'm obsessed, but I love my Chipotle!  Anywho, I am all unpacked and set up in my room.  I definitely need to decorate because these white walls need some serious help, but I'm pretty content with how it's turning out so far.
The sign that was on my dorm room door:
Photobucket
19 books for 5 classes?!?!:
Photobucket
Sink area:
Photobucket
Bed area:
Photobucket

I have to admit that I have been an emotional wreck today, as I mentioned before.  The only person I have met so far is my nice-but-very-awkward RA, Jeff, but that's it.  I haven't even met my suite mate yet.  I need a familiar face, or at least some human interaction.  I did exactly what I told myself I wouldn't do by staying in my room all day.  I ventured out around 7:30 tonight and walked around campus for a little while, but it just emphasized the fact that I am alone here and do not know my way around or anything about the school.  Today was really hard and I know that it will take time to acclimate myself.  I'm emotionally drained and just want to cry about everything, but I have things I need to do tomorrow, so I am going to get some sleep, wake up, and start a new day.

Have a good week,
Sara

3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Aww, Sara, I'll be going through the same thing in about 2 weeks! I'm so worried that I'm not going to meet anyone and I'll just be pent up in my apartment all the time. Your dorm looks adorable, though, so it seems a good place to spend a lot of time! Haha. You're so lucky you've gotten to see other sisters! Even though I spent so little time in Phi Mu, I feel like the connections I've made are so deep. I'm sure you feel the same way! Anyway, I hope you're getting more adjusted and know you're not the only one going through this, my love!

LIOB,
Kelsey

Emma said...

Hi, Sara!
Stumbled across your blog, and just had to leave a note saying hi! The first day of school is always so exciting- I started last week, and I think I woke up at 4:30 am every day because ahhhh!! It can all be so overwhelming!
love your decorations- it looks so cozy! hope you have a great time!

Parisa said...

Hello!

Wow! 19 books for only five classes?! That is insane.

I hope you have a great school year (=

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...